Toggle accessibility

Heritage

Try it all
THE MONUMENTAL FIVE-SIDED BASTION (1659)

THE MONUMENTAL FIVE-SIDED BASTION (1659)

The monumental five-sided fortification – the baroque bastion in the south-eastern part of the town – was built in the course of the Cretan War (fought between the Venetian Republic and the Ottoman Empire from 1645 until 1669), during the service of the Provveditore Antonio Bernardo. It consisted of the Turjun Tower (Torre di Terraferma) and of “The Garden Gate“, which led to the fields and gardens on the sandy peninsula of Punta. 

Read more
EASTERN TOWN GATE (16th C.)

EASTERN TOWN GATE (16th C.)

The Mainland Gate (Porta Terraferma) is one of the better-preserved parts of the eastern town walls. The main town street stretches from them towards the Western gate on the river. The inscription above the gate (1682) bears witness of their construction during the Venetian rule.

PJACA (15th/16th  C.)

PJACA (15th/16th C.)

Pjaca, the main town street stretches from the Eastern Mainland Gate towards the large Western gate (˝vrata od rike˝, ˝the river gate˝). From the middle of the 20th  century onwards, its role as a social venue is taken over by Fošal – a modern town promenade and road.

FOŠAL (2nd HALF OF THE 19th C.)

FOŠAL (2nd HALF OF THE 19th C.)

A modern town promenade and road built along the course of the previous medieval defensive moat (It. fossa) and the pulled-down southern town walls. It testifies to the town’s expansion as a result of industrialisation and the modernisation of traffic routes.

HOUSE OF THE DALMATIAN KLAPA FESTIVAL (16th C.)

HOUSE OF THE DALMATIAN KLAPA FESTIVAL (16th C.)

A one-storey building with an additionally built Renaissance single-light window bearing the coat of arms of the Tomadelli family. Because of the cross in the coat of arms, it used to be popularly referred to as “The Bishop's Palace”. The transom above the entrance displays a coat of arms of the Caralipeo-Despotović family (16th century).

TURJUN TOWER (EARLY 17th  C.)

TURJUN TOWER (EARLY 17th C.)

The square-shaped corner tower known as the ”Mainland Tower” (Torre di Terraferma) remained after the demolition and adaptation of parts of the south-eastern town walls. Right next to it stood the ˝Garden Gate“, which led to the fields and gardens on the sandy peninsula of Punta. Venetian coats of arms from various periods, preserved from the pulled-down town walls and the the Provveditore's palace, can be found on the facade of the tower.